First step to apply
CRITICAL REPAIR APPLICATION ROUND IS SUSPENDED/CLOSED FOR THE REMAINDER OF 2020.
During application rounds: January 1 – January 31, April 1 – April 30, July 1 – July 31, and October 1 – October 31, and if you have read the below guidelines and feel you meet the qualifications, you may send an inquiry email to:
Families@habitatworcester.org with “Critical Repair” as the subject. Briefly outline the need for repairs and times you are available for an initial phone call and a Family Selection Committee member will be in touch. Please note, we are unable to accommodate requests that are sent outside of application periods.
The general guidelines for acceptance are as follows
- Must Demonstrate a Need – recent hardship has changed financial circumstances, cannot pay for or obtain a traditional loan for the work, is physically unable to perform the work on one’s own, health crisis, etc.
- Willingness to Partner – Agree to perform “sweat equity” hours, additional terms as defined throughout the process
- Ability to Pay for Repairs – The cost for repairs is paid back to Habitat Worcester or a third party funder such as the USDA. Families must earn between 30% - 80% of the AMI for Worcester County (as defined by HUD) to qualify.
- Must Pass Credit and Background Checks – including but not limited to a minimum credit score, criminal, sexual and terrorist background checks; there must not be any liens or judgments against the applicant or co-applicant
- Application Fee: $30 to help cover the costs incurred by the affiliate
- Must be a US Citizen or Resident and Worcester County, MD resident for at least one year.
- Must own the home and provide proof of current homeowner’s insurance.
Additional Resources outside of Habitat for Homeowner-Occupied Repairs: